A few years ago, there was a discussion on this List about fake books, and I was surprised to find that the group here was near universal in recommending one particular title.

Now I have two questions: First, for my own curiosity, I want to know which fake book it was that everyone agreed was the best. Second, I wonder if anyone could recommend a fake book well suited for my specific situation.

My use of the book would be for a solo piano-bar situation where I both sing and play. My problem is that I never learned to play well from chord charts. I sight-read very well, and I'm reasonably comfortable adapting or embellishing any simple piano accompaniment. But I do need to see notes on the page, or else I'm too busy thinking about chords and I lose the song.

I continue to debate with myself whether I should take the trouble to learn to play from chord charts, or whether it's too late to teach that trick to this old dog. Right now, I just want to know if there's some big book that serves the same purpose as a fake book -- ie, a ton of songs in one fat book -- but actually has simple accompaniments written out instead of just charts.

Also, my repertoire preference tilts toward the older stuff. I'd love a book that's got a deep collection of standards from the 20s, 30s, and 40s, and I'd like a fairly good sampling from before that, too. I like the old musicals (eg, Rodgers & Hammerstin, Lerner & Loewe) more than the new musicals (eg, Andrew Lloyd Webber, Tim Rice). Anything after the Beatles I don't really need, though I wouldn't object to a basic sample of the most popular ballad type songs from that era. You get the idea.

It doesn't necessarily have to be one book, but if it's a series, I'd like some dense volumes that are designed not to overlap too much. Basically I want to be able carry in one armful pretty much every song I might want to play. I understand that probably means tiny print, but I'm OK with that. I actually know the words and melodies to most of the songs; I just need something written out to follow along, because my deep-down habits are as a sight-reader.

Any ideas welcome.

thanks
mdl