[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

In a message dated 4/2/06 1:02:26 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
<< From: Stephen Peters <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

The Music Man had "rap-like" passages (i.e. parts of "You've Got
Trouble") which led to fully pitched-tone cadences as the climax...

Not all. "Rock Island", the opening number, is entirely spoken in rhythm (although I think the orchestra does play a chord after the last word).

Thanks, I should have remembered that one! Yes, the orchestra plays a chord after the last word (a kind of musical "Ta-da!"). All that happens during the number is rhythm (simulating the train sound) in the background. So while it's part of the show, with just those elements (speech and rhythm) to me it is more like performance-art (without the covering-oneself-with-mud someone else cited). Nothing wrong with it, it has it's attraction, value, worth, etc, but I just don't think of it as "music". (I'd say the same for percussion pieces that did not include any modulated tones.)

Interesting -- I'm not sure Meredith Willson would agree with you, though.

But of course, he wouldn't be any sort of expert on what music is, I'm sure. Not like the mavens on this list are, anyway. :-)

--
David H. Bailey