At 5:38 PM -0700 4/2/06, Chuck Israels wrote:
Ernst Toch wrote a choral piece I "sang" as a teenager that had no pitches. Some of the words were (please excuse my ignorance of German spelling, Johannes and others): Popocatepetl ist nicht in Canada, zunder in Mexico, Mexico, Mexico.

That would be the "Geographical Fugue," entirely spoken, no instruments, no melody, and yes, it has to fit any reasonable definition of music. As far as I'm concerned <opinion warning!>, "performance art" is like "post-modern"--meaningless syllables. <end opinion>

I later discovered that theater people know it as well, and use it for warmups. They do it monophonically rather than canonically, or at least the ones I heard did, and it's great for working on vocal inflections.

John

--
John & Susie Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music