I think we must discern between notation, interpretation and recorded music.

While interpretation may be comparable with painting a painting, interpretation would be following close directions and adding some personal touch, recorded music may be compared to a painting, as long as we still agree the painter is following directions as "now paint, just at the top left, a small red (blood-red, shade 30%) line, 3 mm (or inches, whatever), slightly whiggly (trill), and then switch to blue (aquamarin) and ...) Some people paint smaller dots, or take a different (wrong?) red shade, or paint "to thick"... See what I mean?

Slightly more complicated than baking a cake.

A live recording of an improvisation may be the best musical analog to a painting.

And when you say now: Hey, but the painter knows (to a certain degree) what to paint before he starts .... - Hey, so does the ("good") improviser...

Kurt