>> I agree that improvisation is not notatable.

Somehow this false assumption got into the thread, and needs to be expunged.

While it is *arguable* that jazz improvisation cannot be notated (I don't, myself, agree), it is unquestionable that products of the organ improvisation tradition, in the style of Bach, Vierne, etc. are as perfectly notatable as their models, since they obey the exact same rhythmic and pitch constraints.

There are quite a few pieces of keyboard music, violin solos, etc. in the literature that started out as improvisations, but which the creators then thought so much of that they wrote them down as fixed compositions--so, clearly, they must have been notatable in the first place!

Andrew Stiller
Kallisti Music Press
http://home.netcom.com/~kallisti/