Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:
At 08:32 AM 4/6/06 -0400, David W. Fenton wrote:
[...good information...]

The biggest issue for me (aside from the political) is hardware. Will the
Windows on the Mac use its own drivers to support the additional range of
hardware? Add-in cards and other devices that now only have Windows
drivers? I'm one of those looking speculatively at this unit because I'd
like to have some Mac knowledge, be able to use Mac files that I receive,
and still be able to do what I do now, all in one box. A complete
dual-capable system, hardware and software, would be great. Like can I
still buy those $40 200GB hard drive specials at Staples and put them in?
Does it have slots that will accommodate my high-end sound cards? Or is
this dual-boot a software support system only?

Dennis
Well, since the three current Intel Macs hardly have room for another hard drive (Mac Mini uses a laptop drive, MacBook is a laptop, and the iMac has an internal drive already), it doesn't make sense to even think about an internal drive. Assuming that the forthcoming desktop Intel Macs will have ATA hard drive (or that $40 staples drive you mentioned) then you can easily add another drive to your Mac. But, I'd expect Apple's new desktops will have Serial ATA drives, like the current Powermacs due........so.........an ATA drive won't work right out of the box.

And sound cards. M-Audio's stuff has always worked on Macs. Not sure about Creatives stuff, but M-Audio's stuff is better in my opinion. Plus, you can run a version of protools on M-Audio's hardware (since they are the same company).