> Full score. Flutes 1 and 2 share top staff , 1 is stems up, 2 is stems
> down. In the final measure 1 and 2 play the same note.Which would be
> preferred, one whole note and fermata and notation "1., 2." or two whole
> notes and fermatas side by side, one marked 1., the other marked 2.?

I would use "a 2" to indicate unison of two instruments on a staff, not "1.,
2.".  However, if as you say the whole score shows two separate parts on the
staff, it would be best in the last measure to show two whole notes, side by
side, one fermata above and one below.

Lee Actor
Composer-in-Residence and Assistant Conductor, Palo Alto Philharmonic
http://www.leeactor.com