On Apr 11, 2006, at 9:00 PM, Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:
We ran down the terms. Classical has too much
baggage, and is pretty much wrong. New music means something to a certain crowd, but then just loses meaning at all. Art music? That applies to any
genre with enough skill behind it. Avant-garde is long gone.

What comes after Avant-garde?

Post-avant-garde is just silly.

La Garde? what would the "guard" be? that implies battalions of eager, well-trained and effective soldiers continuing the fight started by the avant-garde. I don't think we've got that, as you mentioned.

Arrière-garde? (translated as "rear guard") fighting a retreat from the battlegrounds? Maybe. 8-( I don't like the sound of that at all.

Concert music
might do it for those who distinguish between, say, a rock concert and a
symphonic concert.

It certainly distinguishes music purely for listening purposes (as opposed to dance, background noise, worship, or other purposes), and presupposes a somewhat more informed audience. Not bad, but it doesn't take into account the social museum aspect of today's orchestra concerts ("we support the symphony because it is Ahhht. Plus I get to wear my beautiful new dress.")

"What do you write?" "Nonpop." "Huh?" And the
conversation can continue. Use any of the other descriptions (art music, classical music, concert music, avant-garde...) and the conversation comes
to a quick and uncomfortable halt.

And there you have possibly the very best argument in favour of the term.

Getting people talking about it (and of course, coming and putting their butts into ticketed seats) is the beginning, the middle, and the end. Otherwise, it is all an elaborate and short-lived exercise.

Christopher