Hi Christopher,

I think you are missing the continuation of the C flat in that first measure - which would explain and rationalize everything. It's a B - and that makes the chord an altered G7!

It's so easy to forget the continuation of an accidental. Moving the bar line doesn't help, in this case, as it would get rid of the C flat/B and get us back to that confusing, (and IMO) inappropriate chord.

Chuck