On 10 May 2006 at 11:21, Scot Hanna-Weir wrote:

> On 5/10/06 11:08 AM, "David W. Fenton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:

> >> I was assuming Scot meant square brackets, as opposed to the round
> >> ones.
> >
> > I can't recall an edition with square brackets on accidentals that
> > didn't look terrible (I'm thinking of a particular A-R Edition, in
> > fact, one that is horridly engraved, in my opinion).
>
> I'm curious which edition in particular you were thinking of. I'd like
> to go take a look at it.

Well, to be fair, it's quite an old edition, the Steffan Bb Concerto,
published in 1980. I provided an example from it in my other long
post on the subject of editorial brackets that I just sent to the
list.

> >> It's not because the source doesn't use parentheses that a modern
> >> edition might not want both (cautionary) accidentals and
> >> [editorial] accidentals.
> >
> > While I'm all for being as clear as possible about editorial
> > intervention, I don't see that this is the way to go. It seems way
> > too fussy to me, while using parens for all accidentals not found in
> > the original (courtesy or editorial doesn't matter -- they are
> > unambiguously implied in the original, so really, I see them all as
> > courtesy accidentals) and accidentals above the note for editorial
> > suggestions seems to me to maintain the same distinction you're
> > trying to implement with round and square brackets.
> >
> > I can't recall very many editions that I've seen that use inline
> > square brackets for editorial accidental suggestions, and I just
> > think it's not going to be clear at all. I see no reason to go
> > beyond the "ficta" practice for editorial suggestions for
> > accidentals. One reason for that is that putting them inline
> > basically makes them obligatory, while putting them above means they
> > will likely be omitted until the performer has studied the score
> > (and decided whether or not to incorporate the suggested
> > accidental).
>
> While I might agree completely with you on the usage of this kind of
> editorial indication, as a music engraver alone, I don't have the
> power to change our editorial method. So, unless I am suddenly the
> managing editor of recent researches, I doubt I'm going to be able to
> do anything but set square-bracketed accidentals where they tell me
> to.

Well, I'm not necessarily opposed to square brackets for accidentals
as opposed to round brackets.

What I oppose is using both for some kind of distinction between the
type of editorial intervention. I discussed the use of both round and
square brackets for slurs in my post mentioned above, referring to A-
R's edition of Ordonez's Op. 1 String Quartets.

And I'm not beating up on A-R here -- they provide a good example
because they've been producing excellent critical editions for
decades, and I happen to have lots of them on my shelf.

I'm certainly very grateful for the fact that A-R exists and puts out
such interesting music in what are mostly quite reliable editions.