On 10 May 2006 at 17:58, dc wrote:

> Johannes Gebauer écrit:
> >Perhaps I am now understanding correctly, you mean you want square
> >brackets? The easiest way to do this is to use a font editor and
> >either change the parenthesized ones into square-bracketed ones, or
> >create extra symbols. That's what I did in my own music font (not
> >available). Then just change the font mapping for the accidentals.
>
> The question is how do you get both in the same score, round brackets
> for cautionary accidentals, and square brackets for editorial
> accidentals.

Let me say it again: I think that's a mistake. It will look terrible
and confusing and won't result in clarity of distinction between the
two types of accidentals at all.

I just spent some time browsing through some of the A-R Editions on
my shelf, the only publisher I can identify who uses square brackets
on inline accidentals. What I found was texts that indicate editorial
intervention, but in a manner that I can't for the life of me divine
what distinctions are being preserved (even after examining the
critical notes).

I looked at a couple of different users of round vs. square brackets,
not just for accidentals.

All the examples discussed below can be viewed here:

  http://www.dfenton.com/Editing/

The first example is from Carlo d'Ordenez's Opus 1 String Quartets
(really good pieces that ought to be in the repertory of any string
quartet that plays much 18th century music). It was published in
1980, so it probably doesn't represent A-R's current practices, nor
represent the capabilities of modern computer engraving software. But
what I see is a distinction between round and square brackets for
slurs that I can't reconcile with any actual meaning, either in
conveying the content of the original sources, or in providing
information to allow performers to make useful choices. A perfect
example is in the opening measures of the 2nd quartet. I can see no
reason for distinguishing the violin II slur in m. 4 from that of m.
5. The notes give no clue about this.

The second example is a vertical one, with round brackets in violin
II and square brackets in the viola. The editorial notes are entirely
silent on this editorial intervention.

What information does this distinction convey? I can see none at all,
even after reviewing the critical notes. At first I thought it might
distinguish a reading from one of the sources that is not in all the
sources from entirely editorial additions, but the notes don't make
that clear at all, though it might be a way of interpreting the
bracketed slur in the first line of the quartet (ex. 1), based on the
notes, which say:

    Mm. 0-1, vln. II, note 1 of m. 0 tied to note 1 of m. 1, and
    notes 1 and 2 of m. 1 are not slurred in [sources] C, D', F and
    G. Mm. 2-3, vln. II, note 4 of m. 2 is tied to note 1 of m. 3
    and notes 1 and 2 of m. 3 are not slurred in F.

But that doesn't at all indicate that any of the sources bear the
editorial slurs in mm. 2-3, let alone m. 4 (square bracket).

For the second example, the notes are entirely silent in either case.
I checked to see if there are parallel passages with commentary, and
the passage is recapitulated later in the movement with different
instrumentation, in the 2 violin parts, and there, the round/square
bracket distinction is reversed.

What does this mean?

What useful information is conveyed?

I only see vast confusion resulting from this, not any assistance to
the performer in choosing whether or not to incorporate editorial
suggestions into a performance.

[let me stress that I'm not making these points to criticize A-R,
since I depend on A-R for the scores of huge bodies of repertory that
would otherwise be inaccessible to me. And at the very least, it's
clear what's editorial, even if it's not clear what the distinction
is between the two types of editorial indications]

The next example is from Steffan's Piano Concerto in Bb, which to me
is an example of the worst kind of overly fussy editorial indication.
Modern notation software could make this kind of thing much more
attractive, true, but I'm just not sure what's accomplished by
putting such incredibly fussy indications of editorial additions into
the performing text. Yes, of course, indicate what's been added in
the notes, and where it doesn't sacrifice clarity, in the musical
text. But here, I just can't see a point.

In the example, there's no use of round brackets at all, just square,
and I can't say that in my browsing I found any A-R editions that
used both square and round brackets for editorial accidentals. In
this case, the square bracket on the E natural in m. 35 is clearly an
editorial courtesy accidental, not a suggestion for reconciling
ambiguity. I distinguish the two here, because musical logic of
verticality requres the E natural because of the corresponding note
in the first violin. So that editorial addition is part of the "real"
text of the work, and its absence in the original source is just
elliptical -- it *should* have been there.

I can't see that there is any real benefit there to the user of the
score in having the bracket at all. It is not by any stretch of the
imagination an optional accidental, so I think in an edition for
other people to use, I'd just silently print the accidental (while
noting its absence in the critical notes).

I find the editorial style overall here to be so overly fussy in
indicating editorial intervention that it makes the text almost
unreadable.

Now, in my own work I do exactly the same thing, since it helps me
keep track of what I've added and what comes from the source
directly.

But if I were preparing an edition for publication, I'd take out many
of those indications and relegate them to the critical notes, because
I just don't believe maintaining that information in the musical text
helps performer make any musically relevant decisions. The bracketed
3 natural mentioned above is not a choice for the performer -- it's a
must, so I can't see that telling the performer that the editor added
it for the performer's convenience is of any assistance whatsoever.

I also note that at this time A-R used brackets for editorial slurs.
I find this quite ugly, and much prefer either dashed slurs or a tick
mark through the middle of the slur to indicate that it was an
editorial addition (like the Bärenreiter does it, for instance).

In the last two examples, I show that in a later edition (from 1989),
A-R also used dashed slurs, as well as dashed ties (the first example
shows a dashed tie, the second several dashed slurs). The reason I
provide these examples is because they very clearly have tapered ends
(though the clarity of that is not fully transmitted after my
scanning of the pages, which has tended to fuzz things up a bit).

While I don't dispute Johannes' point that many editions don't taper
the dashed slurs/ties (Bärenreiter doesn't do it), it's also not the
case that *no* publishers taper the slurs, as seen here in this A-R
edition.

Also, it shows that at least one publisher of critical editions uses
not just dashed slurs but also dashed ties. I certainly wish Finale
would provide dashed ties, as well, though I'm entirely agnostic on
the issue of whether or not dashed ties/slurs should taper or not
(I'd love the option, though).