On Sat, 2006-05-13 at 11:44 -0400, "A-NO-NE Music" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Sorry for OT post.  There are many Win experts on list, and hoping
> someone knows the answer.
>
> My wife wants to use my old Thinkpad 240 sitting in my closet.  It has
> IBM USB external CDROM drive, which won't boot, naturally.  I have
> searched bootdisk.com and IBM site but there is no DOS driver for this
> drive.
>
> The only way I could think of how to clean install Win2K is:
> 1) Create 4 boot diskettes off the installer CD
> 2) Boot from the diskettes and copy all the cab files to C:
> I'd think C: needs to be FAT since NT installer is DOS
> 3) Convert FAT to NTFS then expand the partition size afterward
>
> This is a tedious procedure.  I was wondering if anyone know any
> better way.
> Thanks in advance.
>
> P.S. Boy Mac is easier...

I don't see any reason why you would have to make C: be a FAT partition,
since you would be booting from Win2K installer disks.  I believe the
text-based part of the install will support NTFS.

Now if you're going to boot from a Win98 disk and start the install
program, then yes, you would need to create partitions first, and they
would have to be FAT32.  However, depending on the size of the disk, you
wouldn't necessarily have to resize the partition, since FAT32 supports
up to a 32GB partition and you mentioned that your laptop was old.