On 24 May 2006 at 10:50, Scot Hanna-Weir wrote:

> On 5/24/06 10:01 AM, "Johannes Gebauer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > With the move to Intel this will change. The oldest version that can
> > technically run on current Intel Macs is Fin2k4.
>
> If Win really has such backwards compatibility, and we are saying that
> these really old versions will run in XP, . . .

So, you're admitting that your comments are made in complete
ignorance of the situation with Windows?

Had I the disks, I'm sure I could install and run Finale 2.0.1, the
first version I ever had. It was a Windows 3.0 program, from before
Windows had TrueType fonts (so you could get decent printing only
with a PostScript printer).

I have a client who uses a dBase II application compiled in 1983 that
runs just fine in a DOS window on his WinXP computer.

Microsoft has always worked to maintain backward compatibility, and
all application developers who write to the appropriate APIs have
benefited from this. In most cases, you can even get apps to work
that *weren't* appropriately written, because Windows provides a
number of compatibility modes to accommodate those older programs.

All that said, I don't mean to criticize Apple's decision to break
backward compatibility. I think that for the size of their market, it
was the only way they could go, because it's expensive and difficult
to maintain backward compatibility. It requires deep pockets and a
huge amount of work to implement. That Apple chose to put their
investment in the future may have caused discomfort for a few years
at each of the transitions, but in the long run, it has benefited
their users more than if they'd delayed the release of their new
products a couple of years and maintained compatibility with older
software.

And, of course, in the OS X case, compatibility layers *were*
provided, and those have eased the transition period for users of
older apps. That Classic goes away on MacIntel shouldn't be a major
problem for any large number of Mac users, seems to me, as OS X is a
half decade old at this point. That's the lifespan of a computer, so
only people who were conservative and bought an OS9 computer just as
OS X was released would be in the position of transitioning now. And,
of course, they would have had the full period to begin the
transition themselves, had they chosen to prepare for the future.