On May 24, 2006, at 3:36 PM, Eric Dannewitz wrote:

Exactly. Apple has an EXCELLENT record of keeping support for old applications while moving forward with new things. So you can't use OS 9 programs under classic with the new Intel macs. So? Companies have had years to move programs over to OS X. Does anyone really want to run 1984 Mac programs on their new Intel mac????

I mean, seriously, where do you draw the line. The $100 program you bought 10 years ago? Do I want to run Finale 97? No way.

Yes. For some, they have old files that import improperly into new versions of Finale, and so need to keep old versions of Finale around to avoid having to comb meticulously through every file they reprint.

I also have a few old programs that I need that have never had OSX versions, and they are essential. Apple Printer Utility (OS9) seems to be the only thing that communicates properly with my LaserJet 4, among others. I would be sunk without it (or at least, have to buy yet ANOTHER printer!)

Christopher