>Hi Richard,
>read Christopher response to your question again. It is as clear as I
>could describe it myself in English. You seem to have convinced
>yourself with that way of writing it, and there is nothing we can do
>to make you change your mind I guess.

I am sincerely puzzled that anyone thinks I am trying to mount some kind of
defense here. My questions to responders have only been for the purpose of
understanding what they wrote when it was not clear to me or to re-ask a
question that I thought had not been answered.

The way I wrote it is certainly nonstandard. I may use it; I may not. I only
think it interesting (and a relevant music notation topic) to consider
possible alternatives and the advantages and disadvantages of each. I have
no interest in changing what is standard. I have no special attachment to
any of the ways of doing it. I have not expressed (nor do I have) any strong
opinion about it one way or the other. The way I first wrote the example has
a couple of things going for it. It may very well be that the disadvantages
completely overwhelm any advantages. I also am interested in other
precedents and opinions.

The inferences that some seem to be making about motivations are just
irrelevant.

>But you must understand that every poster made it clear in their
> answers that it was unstandard and that I would most likely be
>misunderstood by any reader

I do understand that they thought it would be misunderstood. No one (except
John who referred to assuming it was a typo) has said what actual
misunderstanding there would be.

> (or at best take some time to understand, which is the last thing we want)

Ease of understanding is one valuable quality of music notation. It is not
the only one, however, and sometimes there are tradeoffs. No, on second
thought there are *always* tradeoffs. I am not claiming that the tradeoffs
in this example are even remotely worthwhile, but your blanket statement
warrants questioning. Ever seen a circular score? How about a puzzle canon?
What about transposed instruments in orchestral scores? Cramped scores to
avoid page turns? Any number of practices about courtesy accidentals? None
of these maximize rapidity of understanding at the expense of other
qualities.

>...because they will not have seen  this strange way to notate ever before.
D.S. al Coda is as clear as
> it can be and everyone will understand it. I do a lot of guitar
>music, and the instrument of orchestration has nothing to do with the
> way the form is written IMO.

My point was that the confusion anticipated if this were being sight-read by
multiple players is mitigated by the circumstances (solo) in which the score
would actually be used. A player might look at it and think "What's going on
there? Oh, I see. Weird. Never saw that before. Makes some sense, though, I
guess. Rather efficient actually." and never have to think about it again.
Someone else might be highly annoyed. (Personally I would be most annoyed by
example two which means a page turn to play one measure).

I also would point out that, even in the small number of responses, there is
not consensus about how this should be written. The third example has John
"stumped", David says it is the only way he has ever seen it done, and Hiro
says don't make players jump around at all.

Richard Yates