At 11:30 AM 5/29/2006, D. Keneth Fowler wrote:
>The way I have entered the roll sign is very tedious. In the Mozart font
>there is a character, number 103, I used at 26 point. The character is only
>one "element". So I enter a bunch of these elements and then  place and
>align each one. What a drag. I vaguely remember having a font in which you
>entered one character and from that point you could drag evenly spaced and
>sized elements as far as necessary. It offered fine control. Is anyone
>aware of such a character and where it may be found? I can't find it
>anywhere in my font files.

Um. In all recent versions of Finale there is a predefined "roll" articulation. It uses that character 103, and in the articulation definition it has Copy the Main Symbol Vertically checked.

When you place this articulation in the score, you get a little squiggle with two handles on it. Move the top handle to place the top of the articulation, and then move the bottom handle to stretch the squiggle to fill the space you need. After you select either handle, I suggest holding down the shift key when you drag, to constrain your dragging to pure vertical. (If you drag the lower handle at an angle, for example, you'll get a diagonally staggered line of squiggles.)

I am in the habit of always attaching this articulation to the bottom note of the chord; this is partly for positioning reasons and partly so that I always know which note it's attached to when I'm going back over a score. Then I drag the top handle to position the top of the roll, and then the bottom handle to set the bottom.

Bill Duncan also has a rolls font (<http://www.gwmp.com/Rolls.htm>) which consists of roll shapes of predefined lengths. You can import this as an articulation library and then place a symbol of the correct height each time. But unless you have *lots* of rolls in your score, and you take the time to set up metatools for each height, I'm not sure this will be easier than the method described above.

Aaron.