The lines that form repeat boxes are not "smart", that is, they keep the same length regardless of how the music gets spaced, and they do not break intelligently at system breaks.

I had a very long first ending over three systems, and I had to manually adjust the box ends for the
1) first box start
2) first box end
3) add in a Smart Shape line to cover the middle system so that it showed as if it was a repeat box

and I had to do this on ALL my extracted parts, then again in the score (I couldn't set it in the score, because sometimes the line is so long I can't even see the handles in Page View, and have to resize them in Scroll View) so there is an hour or so of my life I will never get back again... grr!

Furthermore, when a first ending ends with a multimeasure rest, I often lose the repeat bracket over the dotted double line in the extracted parts. I have to delete the repeat and enter it again, once more for every extracted part that has a multimeasure rest just before the repeat.

Christopher

That's why I always use Custom Line Styles for my Repeate boxes/lines. They are smart and always size properly. Also, you can add continuation text for multi-system 1st endings. I also like to put a right-arrow head at the end of the 2nd ending line...not traditional, but REALLY clear.

Bill Duncan