On 29 May 2006 at 19:44, Christopher Smith wrote:

> On May 29, 2006, at 6:36 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:
> >
> > In short, there is no hard and fast rule about whether repeats are
> > obligatory just because they are found in the score, even if it's
> > the composer's autograph.
>
> Wow. Really? I would have thought that something like a repeat in the
> composer's hand would be a sure sign that he intended it.

Certain things are conventional and thus don't mean as much as they
might seem. My experience is that a repeat in the composer's hand
means that you can repeat here if you like. A lack of a repeat may or
may not indicate "don't repeat."

It's not terribly cut and dried, because the practices weren't really
as codified as we'd like to think.

> Wrong notes and other mistakes, of course, might be subject to
> scholarly dissection, but a repeat is hard to put in by accident, I
> would think.

Who interprets the repeat sign?

For instance, the NMA almost always puts in exposition and recap
repeats, even when they are absent in the autographs. Sometimes
Mozart wrote the repeat in the first half and not the second. Did he
forget the second repeat? Or did he want only the first half
repeated? Sometimes it's possible to tell, sometimes it's not.
Sometimes the Mozart autograph has no repeats, but the authentic
parts to the same work do have them (and vice versa).

One could say "well, the autograph derives directly from the
composer, so the that's the authorative source, since the parts were
copied from the autograph, and prepared by copyists (under Leopold
Mozart's supervision), so not as authorative." Yet, many of these
sets of parts were used by Mozart in his concerts in Vienna (he wrote
to his father to have them sent to him from Salzburg). So, it seems
that maybe the authentic parts are more authorative than the
autograph, since those were actually used in performances directed by
Mozart himself.

My take on all of this is that the real situation is that this was
not something that they got too upset about. You could do the repeats
or not, depending on the situation.

Keep in mind that in Mozart's time it was quite common for a symphony
to be broken up over an entire concert, with part of it performed at
the beginning of the concert and the finale at the end. You never see
that done today, but it was pretty much common practice back then. It
doesn't mean they always did it, just that it was OK to perform parts
of it separated from the whole. If they could do that, why in the
world would they get upset about skipping repeats?