[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
I have received this question from my composer colleague with whom I work on engraving projects with. I can only pass along his own description of the problem because he is using Finale 2006 and I have not yet been able to upgrade from 2003. Apparently, he has a couple of quarter rests that have left their measures and migrated to a couple of weird spots on the page. On one particular page (in page view) he has a rest between two percussion staves, and a second one showing up well over on the desktop (as he has a widescreen monitor). He says he cannot attack these rests with the special tools because he can never get a handle for either rest. What's really too bad is that he has this whole score exactly as he wants it, excepting these two rests, and he's at the point where he'd rather white them out rather than risk damaging his entire layout. Has anyone had something similar happen to them, or does anyone have any ideas about how to go about search-and-destroying these rests?

I've never run into this, but I have a couple of thoughts.

As for handles for the rests, has he tried using the selection tool? Using that you're supposed to be able to click on any item and the appropriate tool will open up.

As for locating where the rests came from, if they've moved from some spot, they must have left an empty spot behind. He can check the score to see which measures are missing rests.

Has he tried using the Text tool or the Articulation tool or the Expression tool to see if handles pop up on the rests in question? Perhaps somehow they're stray text/articulation/expression items which have changed characters or fonts?

Has he tried the Data Check to try to repair the file (he should make a copy first) to see if that can fix the problem?

Just some thoughts, nothing definite to give you the answer, though.

Has he looked at the file on a different computer?

Sounds like a candidate for shipping to support to see if they can help.

--
David H. Bailey