The machine in question -- a G3 iMac -- did not come with USB 2.0 ports.

Also, while David is correct -- on paper, the transfer rate of USB 2.0 is 480 Mb/sec vs. 400 Mb/sec for FireWire -- in most real-world tests, FireWire hard drives outperform the equivalent USB 2.0 hard drive (due to the superior chipset).

Not to mention that if you put multiple USB 2.0 devices on a hub, they must all share the port's 480 Mb/sec bandwidth, whereas daisy- chained FireWire devices don't have that problem.

- Darcy
-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://secretsociety.typepad.com