At 1:38 PM -0400 6/17/06, Raymond Horton wrote:
Like I said, we are getting a bit smart-ass for the original poster, who has a community orchestra that goes down to middle-schoolers. Some shows are published with school editions, but obviously this one isn't, or hasn't been yet. But John is used to making adjustments, and will have to make one sort or the other for the English horn.

Thanks for that, Ray, but I don't consider any of the answers smart-ass and I've appreciated them all. Thank you all for taking my questions seriously and answering them (mostly) seriously!

As a matter of clarification, my regular oboist just graduated as a performance major, owns an English horn and plays it beautifully, started as a flutist and plays it beautifully, and learned sax for marching band when she was a music education student. She'll cover the Reed 3 book by herself, once she picks up clarinet. (Which I have no doubt she can!) My problem is that she has turned to other interests for grad school (specifically oceanography!), and has a job this summer with a professor who has contracts for an environmental impact study to search streams for mussels that are endangered species where a new natural gas (or maybe methane?) pipeline is going in. Their work is weather-dependent and she could be out of town on very little notice. Therefore, I'm lining up subs, and the only other decent oboist in town (not counting the professionals whom we can't pay) is a band player rather than an orchestral player, and does not own or play an English horn. I've already transposed and adjusted the necessary passages for oboe, just in case. For those who pointed out that oboe is no substitute for English horn, as an arranger I absolutely agree, but when push comes to shove we do what we have to.

Part of my orientation is that we've been pretty conservative and done mostly shows that are older, sure-fire, and will draw good audiences. "Annie" may be the latest we've done, and that's approaching 30 years old. And even though "Kate" falls into that category (opened in 1948), this is my first experience with a modern Broadway orchestration. That's why the naïve questions. Most (all?) of the Rodgers & Hammerstein shows are scored for orchestral woodwinds with normal orchestral doubles and no sax doubles, and they do have alternate parts for the oboe to cover English horn parts.

Here's what it's like out in SW Virginia. We've done shows with the oboe part played on soprano sax and the English horn part played on alto sax. And with the bassoon part played on bari sax. (Awful on "King & I," losing the exoticness that the show really needs, but necessary at the time. I've put together good string sections for the last several years, but we've had summers when they weren't very good at all. We're at the mercy of who is available and willing to volunteer their time. We've got some VERY competent community and semi-pro players, plus advanced students who have been studying privately, but it's always a challenge to fill the oboe, bassoon, harp, horn, cello, and surprisingly the bass chairs. Even the professional orchestras here (specifically the Roanoke Symphony and the Southwest Virginia Chamber Orchestra) have been importing the oboe professor from Ohio State and his wife.

Yes, this discussion has shown the difference between professional expectations and community expectations, and I've learned a lot from it. It isn't that my violas CAN'T double violins, just that our pit is small and the danger to the instruments is very real. (And I should know because I are one!)

Darcy wrote:

"Yes, of course -- any cellist good enough to be playing in a B'way pit can read treble clef without any problem. (Are there a lot of working cellists out there who *can't* read treble clef?)"

Yes, there are. They're called students, and what they've been exposed to depends on their private teachers. Some are much better prepared than others. And someone who hasn't studied privately and has been playing educational arrangements in school orchestra may be stumped by tenor clef as well. When you cite "working cellists" I'm sure that you mean professionals, and I'm sure that for them you're quite correct.

John

--
John & Susie Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music