You know, it's all too easy to blame amplification itself for sonic problems, as opposed to poor mixing.

I'm involved in a composers federation called Pulse. Our regular performing ensemble is a string quartet, two reeds, horn, tuba, a percussionist (usually vibraphone) and a keyboard player, sometimes augmented by "jazz" soloists. We played two gigs recently, one at a club in Brooklyn, where everyone was amplified, and one at St. Peter's Church in Manhattan, with hardly any amplification at all. The sound was far, far superior at the club -- in fact, it's the best the group has ever sounded, and all of the players agreed. We were lucky in that we had a sound tech who really knew what he was doing -- but such creatures *do* exist. I saw most of the Bang on a Can marathon at the World Financial center a couple of weeks ago, and the (amplified, of course) sound in that cavernous space was nothing short of miraculous.

IMO, it's lazy and stupid to blame amplification per se for sonic problems, as opposed to poor sound techs. At its best, amplification allows the listener to hear *more* nuance and *more* expressivity (especially in an acoustically subpar situation, like, say, a B'way pit), since more of the subtle details are being transmitted to the audience. Singers proved this ages ago -- the art of Billie Holiday or Frank Sinatra simply isn't possible without amplification, and proper mic technique is an essential part of their sound -- and the same goes for Miles Davis when playing in a Harmon mute.

Cheers,

- Darcy
-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]