In a message dated 6/19/06 1:01:39 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
<< From: Christopher Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [Finale] "Kiss Me, Kate" books
In addition, as I have already said elsewhere, I don't think four
strings and four brass really do the score of Kiss Me Kate justice, but
that was a budgetary decision, not an artistic one. >>

Yes, 95% of the orchestration changes taking place in recent years on B'way
are for the budget. Part-reason for Don Sebesky's circus o' mute changes is to
help give a small group a "larger-group" effect; the producer will sometimes
have the arranger/orchestrator go back and make changes just to "fatten up" the
sound for that reason, so the players are working twice as hard to make up
for the choice of profit margin. (Yes, I'd agree for the other 5%, bringing
aspects of the show more up-to-the-times, topical and stylistically workable.)

It's understandable when struggling community productions must use fewer
players; B'way is making profits hand-over-fist, and does not have that excuse.

The misconception that it's OK to use the samplers etc. for audiences comes
from not realizing, or not agreeing, that the effect of live players is a
qualitatively different experience. Decades of less and less music education,
covered orchestra pits (or music fed in from remote locations), horrible
soundboard
mixing, have taught audiences to hear shows that way as a norm. The answer is
more public-awareness campaigns, in the schools and in professional settings,
where the audience hears and sees more of the live music aspect of the show.
Then they'll realize that the live music is an important component of the
total B'way show experience, part of the sights, sounds, smells... smells?

-Steve S
NYC