Andrew Stiller wrote:

On Jun 17, 2006, at 10:29 AM, Carl Dershem wrote:

Most shows have long stretches of "I'd be reading the paper now, but the conductor would get mad", middling stretches of just plain work, and a few instances of "let's hope I survive this bit tonight", but they almost always have something associated that's good for stories that last years.

Oboist Claire Tindall, in her kiss-and-tell memoir _Mozart in the Jungle_, describes how she memorized her part for _Les Misérables_, and thereafter read books hidden behind her part during performances.

Andrew Stiller
Kallisti Music Press
http://home.netcom.com/~kallisti/

Of course. I have read a lot during the _Nutcracker_ ballet over the years. How much of your brain do you need to play the "Waltz of the Flowers" a thousand times in your lifetime?

Raymond Horton
Bass Trombonist
Louisville Orchestra