On Jun 26, 2006, at 9:42 PM, Jacki Barineau wrote:

On Jun 26, 2006, at 8:47 PM, Christopher Smith wrote:

The short answer: just because. (shrug)

LOL - makes sense :)

Okay - next problem! I'm trying to put F6/9(#11) above the staff, but it keeps changing it to F6/E!! I made sure "simplify spelling" is off and I even went in to edit the chord symbol manually, but it still turned it back into F6/E!! How do I get it to keep the F6/9(#11)?

Yeah, Finale construes the diagonal slash as an alternate bass. You have to fool it into writing this suffix.

I take it you don't already have the suffix constructed, so you will have to do this the hard way. I assume you are using Maestro rather than JazzFont.

Chord Menu, select Manual Input.
Click on the note.
Down at the bottom of the window, you have Suffix ID, click Select
Click Create
TYpe in 6, then click Next.
Type in / then click Next.
Type in 9 then click Next.
Type in ( then click Next
Now careful. Type 11, click Number, and prefix #, then click next. Numbers are the only thing you can enter two of at a time.
Type in ) then click Ok.
Check the suffix number, because you will need it from now on to use this suffix more easily. It might be 83 if you haven't already added new suffixes. Cancel your way back to the score.

Now, to enter this suffix using Type Into Score, select Type into score from the chord menu. Click the note. Type exactly F:83 (eff colon eight three) assuming the suffix number is 83. Hit the space bar to move to the next note as usual. The chord F with suffix number 83 will magically appear. If you have forgotten the suffix number, enter zero instead, and select the suffix from the list.

Whew!

Christopher