I've had some problems with the option space character in certain
fonts as well. Problems where, in times for instance, the option space
character appears as a [] box looking thing and then prints with no
space at all. The way I've been able to combat this problem is to
search and replace option-spaces with palatino. For some reason,
Palatino prints and displays correctly for me. It's been a bit of a
mystery to me for a while, but at least I found a work around.

-Scot