I have done some very extensive tests regarding the option space issue and
our conclusions is that it is a font, OS, and Finale 2006 related. What we
have discovered in 2006 is that you need to use OT fonts for option spaces
to go to press and PDF properly AND consistently. This only affects certain
fonts but the big problem is it is the main ones like Palatino and Times.
There are some instances where Old Adobe fonts will be OK and you can use
the Apple supplied fonts but we needed something a bit more concrete than
using .dfonts. OT fonts have cured all problems with Finale. This problem
also affect special characters in Spanish text.

You can pickup the "Adobe Type Basics OpenType Edition" for $99 online
http://store.adobe.com/type/browser/P/P_1902.html . The only thing you may
need to purchase separately is Times. After we made this move we have had no
problems.

Steve