John Howell wrote:
Maybe we need to define our terms? A printer is not a copier, nor vice-versa. The technology I have access to is not exactly state-of-the-art.
,,,<snippage>...
But we're both still stuck with the difference between printers and copiers.
Actually, these days, copiers are more and more digital scanners coupled with a laser printer, so that, more and more, copiers contain printers. And there are both laser printers and copiers reasonably available besides the HP 5100, which will create images on larger paper sizes. The problem from our perspective is the way marketing organizations are set up. In my experience, the dividing line between "home" and "office" printers is largely coincident with the ability of the device to use 11 x 17 paper at all; only a few laser printers marketed for "home" are capable of handling 11 x 17, but nearly all printers marketed for office use do have the capability of producing that size. Printers capable of printing on larger paper sizes that 11 x 17, are fairly common, but these are commercial units, with commercial price tags. They are also sold by different people on the sales team, fi not different parts of the organization, and one has to know to ask for a sales rep who handles the commercial lines in order to discuss lease / purchase of these units. I bought a laser printer a while ago, the Ricoh AP610 N (which, according to the specifications will take 12 x 17 paper), direct from the manufacturer, and saw a display units capable of making laser copies (or print-outs) on 22 x 34 inch paper. They cost more than many automobiles, and require commercial power lines. As to paper, Domtar, Springhill, Williamsburg Offset, and Wausau Paper all have printing papers in heavy weights (28 - 32 pounds) and larger sizes (11 x 17 and larger); all of these firms have websites, and several list vendors in different parts of the country. These papers are primarily sold to small print / copy shops, but a if they're not in your yellow pages, the proprietor of your local print / copy shop will probably be happy to tell you where he or she buys paper.

ns