Robert Patterson Finale wrote:
David Bailey:
I recall you making that recommendation at the time, Robert, and
much as I admire you, I thought you were wrong then and I still
think you're wrong now.

I think you misunderstand the point of my recommendation. It was
precisely that Finale *should* stick to being a notation package,
rather than reinventing the DAW wheel. By getting in bed with
ProTools, Sibelius has relieved itself of the need (in the long run)
of becoming everything. It now has the opportunity to focus on
notation.

Yes, I did misunderstand you -- to a point we are in complete agreement. But I remain skeptical that Sibelius will remain strictly a notation program. It's already got film sync built into it (2 versions before Finale added that capability) and while that aspect is for locking in notation to the video, I don't think it's going to be too long before it adds audio capabilities, just what you and I are hoping won't happen with Finale.

Here's hoping that Sibelius is allowed to focus on notation -- something I'm not optimistic about.

I see it more as a front-end/back-end thing. Eventually things will be rolled into one application, and simply marketed with two different front-ends for different markets but in reality the same piece of software. One will be a notation program with all the bells and whistles of a DAW, and the other will be a full-fledged DAW with one of the best notation capabilities available today. One will be marketed towards educators and "serious" (I hate that term, maybe I should use "non-pop") composers who will increasingly incorporate audio with their notation (like the 20th century works for acoustic instruments and electronic tape) and the other will be marketed to the pop/rock/movie world which works with audio first and finally gets around to notation for those acoustic instruments they wish to include.
--
David H. Bailey