Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:
> I can only assume people like the increasingly prettified GUIs because the
designs sell. But I just want screen real estate and no distractions. From
what I've seen, neither the new Mac nor the upcoming Windows provide that.
(I've tried Linux; right now it seems to be the worst of both worlds.)

Sorry to hijack this thread a bit, but I've got to jump in. What flavour of Linux did you try? Because if you are looking for minimal desktop setups, then Linux is the place to be. Look at FluxBox, IceWM or AfterStep. For example (and I have tried this), you can run FluxBox on top of Slackware on an old 486 and still have a reasonably responsive OS. Windows 98 won't even install. Of course if you want eye-candy, you can go with KDE or Gnome and use Xgl for the latest and greatest in OpenGL acceleration. There are lots of reasons not to use Linux, but the lack of a bare-bones desktop is not one of them.

Best,
Scott