Tyler,

This article is many years out of date -- from the cards referenced (GeForce4 MX, ATI Radeon 9000 Pro), I'd say it dates from 2002 or 2003.

Cheers,

- Darcy
-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://secretsociety.typepad.com
Brooklyn, NY

On 09 Aug 2006, at 7:51 PM, Tyler Turner wrote:

--- Darcy James Argue <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I never said the graphics cards do none of the 2D
calculations. But
in terms of the 2D calculations they do perform, all
modern graphics
cards perform equally well. The bottleneck for
non-video 2D drawing
on any modern machine is the CPU, not the GPU.

http://www.geek.com/htbc/buy/vidcarby.htm

"Speed - 3D vs. 2D
Nowadays, graphics processors, or GPUs (Graphics
Processing Unit) to use the term thought up by NVidia,
typically run at 200-350 MHz. Video memory can run at
an effective 300-650 MHz by using DDR SDRAM that
really runs at 150-325 MHz and doubles its speed to
(150-325 MHz)*2 for a faster effective throughput.
Typically, the faster the chip and memory are running
at, the better 3D performance you'll get. Most
computer sellers don't focus on this information at
all, but ask about it if you want the details. If you
want a big monitor or multiple monitors, for 2D speed,
you want a fast RAMDAC (or 2 or more) on your video
card and plenty of memory. Most cards don't focus on
2D performance, but if you are moving big images
around the screen, you will notice whether you have 2D
performance or not."