Tyler Turner wrote:

--- Johannes Gebauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

I might be missing something, but what is wrong with
having items which can be set to only display in the score, even before parts exist. Ok, an additional benefit might be to include a mechanism which could selectivly link them to certain parts, but as a start I'd be quite happy to have an object category which is permanently not present in the parts. I can see no problems with such objects. It would be extremely useful for footnotes and the likes.

For this option to not hurt my work, it would have to
have some sort of checker that I could run to hunt for
items with this setting. It would be difficult enough
for me to remember if I had enabled this setting for
an object in one of my own scores several months after
dealing with it. But for working on scores made by
other people it would be a real problem. If the option
was made available, I'd really hope that they'd also
give us a command that could help us find each of
these objects. It's one thing for a part to have
something visible on it that shouldn't be there - this
I have a good shot of spotting and correcting. It's
another thing if it's something that's missing.

Seriously though, there's a great amount of time to be
saved by creating the linked parts at the time the
score is initially created. We can begin our part
editing while we're working on the score. There are
many occasions that we can now move an object only
once because of this rather than the multiple times we
used to.

Perhaps something that would benefit you would be to
have a unique color for items which are unlinked in
some parts but not all parts.

Having installed and just barely begun to explore Fin2007, I can see already how easy it is to create the linked parts right at the start of a new project, so that might be the best answer to Johannes's concern.

But I wonder if we create the parts initially, then create the score and include some unlinked items, what happens if we decide to redo the parts and turn them off and then recreate them? Will the items in the score which we placed as unlinked regain the links with new part generation so they would have to be unlinked manually, each one?

Tyler raises a very nice point, and one which I hope MakeMusic includes in an upgrade to the whole linked parts/score feature (maybe in version 2 next year?) and that would be something which could be added to the DataCheck routine -- it would return a list of unlinked items in the score along with measure number and staff name. And could optionally be run while looking at an individual part, in which case it would return a list of all the unlinked items in that part, by measure number.

Or maybe a plug-in which would be view-independent, as many of us hope the plugins will gain that capability.

--
David H. Bailey