On Aug 17, 2006, at 9:53 AM, A-NO-NE Music wrote:

Anyway, aside from Tonal Gravity thing, I just thought of the situation
you all might be able to relate to.  See this:
<http://www.a-no-ne.com/temp/ex.jpg>

And let's assume no chord names are written above since this is a part
for someone, and the comping parts are playing these chord
progressions.  What do you think?

Actually, if you want to get really picky, the #9 in the "theoretically correct" version is not really correctly spelled—it should be spelled in most contexts as a b10, or Cnat.

Also in extreme pickiness mode, the top tetrachord of the altered scale is whole-tone, which means it could be "correctly" spelled in a scalar context with either sharps or flats, making either version correct in the last beat of the first bar. You chose to spell it like the first three notes of a major scale, which is quite readable in the context.

Which leaves only the first note of the second bar under contention, C# or Db? While the C# agrees with the chord and I would use it, I would have no problems in a sixteenth-note passage if it were respelled to Db to make it easier to read. The harmonic cue one would get from C# is of negligible benefit here.

But I am picky about correct harmonic usage, and in my music I would use the C#.

Christopher