Richard,

Check to see if this expression is in this place because it has been copied from another place in a mass edit operation. There is a history of erratic copying behavior like this. There may be several superimposed copies. If this is so, when you click on one to delete it, it probably does delete - exposing the one underneath. Repeat the procedure until the expression disappears. See if this works.

Chuck