Thank you Aaron ... it did clear up some perspectives. I'm still not sure how to print only the score pages I want ... I'll mess around some more with this today. At this moment, it seems to me that once the parts are linked (generated, what ever), that the option of printing single pages of score or parts has been removed. I'm sure this can't be the case, and that I, as of yet, have not figured it out ... but I'll reread your post and the manual again. Perhaps the light will dawn.

Thanks,

Dean

On Aug 25, 2006, at 8:21 PM, Aaron Sherber wrote:

At 10:15 PM 8/25/2006, Dean M. Estabrook wrote:
>So, I'm operating MacFin2007, and trying to extract parts from a file
>created on the 06 version. According to the Quick Start Video,  all I
>have to do is go to Manage Parts,  and click on  a Link Parts
>button.  However, that video obviously shows the Win format, not
>Mac .. and there is no such button I can find.

Try Document | Manage Parts | Generate Parts | OK.

>So, I sort of fumbled
>around and extracted the parts anyway ... I'm not sure if they were
>linked or not,

If you actually *extracted* parts (File | Extract Parts), then no, they're not linked.

>Also, once I edited the parts,  I had trouble
>finding them again, like there is now no separate folder for them,
>they just exist as part of the score,

Well, yes, that's sort of the whole point of linked parts. Once you generate the linked parts, everything is contained in the same file -- the parts are essentially just specialized views of the data in the score. You access the parts by going to Document | Edit Score or Edit Part.

>and when I did find one and got
>it open to do some more editing, all the changes I had made were no
>longer there.

In addition to linked parts, Fin07 also lets you extract parts to separate (unlinked) files, just as in the past. The way it does this is by generating linked parts and then saving the linked part to an (unlinked) file. It sounds like you extracted parts to separate files and then either (a) made changes to the linked parts but later opened the extracted part, or (b) made changes to an extracted part and later looked at the linked part.

To repeat: Once you extract a part to a separate file, the contents of that file are no longer linked back to the score. The linked parts all reside in the same file as the score and need only to be generated, not extracted. (For files created in Fin07, the parts can be generated right when you set up your score using the wizard, so it's not an extra step the way it is with files brought in from earlier versions.)

Hope this helps.

Aaron.