On Aug 30, 2006, at 6:50 PM, Carl Dershem wrote:

Darcy James Argue wrote:

Carl,
That's the SoftSynth, and it's (ostensibly, at least) a harmon mute.

Ah.  Doesn't much sound like one, does it?
Do the GPO samples sound any better for Big Band, or does that require a separate purchase?

Carl,

It's separate, (Garritan Big Band, I mean) as Darcy says, and some of the instruments sound halfway decent. I like the rhythm section sounds pretty well, and the brass is tolerable (there are mutes, and plunger effects built in), flute and clarinet are OK, but the least successful are the saxophone sounds. If you're looking for a sketch tool, it's not bad - better than the charcoal sketch the police use to catch a suspect. Trouble with all of these is that as they get better, you only realize more acutely how little they resemble human music.

My 2c.

Chuck

cd
--