Hmm, this explains some problems I had with 2007 for the first project I attempted. I wanted to extract a piano-vocal from my score, but I couldn't get it to happen, even after creating the proper group. Obviously, the vocal line was named, as was the piano group, so I guess this was holding me up.

I finally saved under a new name and deleted the staves around the piano and vocal to create the part. Not what was intended by Finale's designers, I would think.

Christopher

On Aug 31, 2006, at 7:07 PM, Aaron Sherber wrote:

At 06:36 PM 8/31/2006, Chuck Israels wrote:
>My window doesn't look like this.  It only shows Piano LH and Piano
>RH, so I have to combine them to create a piano part.

Ah, sorry, I missed this in your original post. The problem is that the two staves have names! If you delete the names of the individual staves, then Finale should show the Piano group (assuming that the group is named Piano -- otherwise it will just show Group 5 or something).

There's some logic that Finale uses to determine whether to make a score group available in the manage parts dialog or whether just to make the individual staves available. I don't remember all the details, but I know that if the staves have names (or maybe it's just the top staff in the group) then the group is not available.

I just tried this myself to confirm. When I named the two piano staves, the group wasn't available for me either.

Hope this helps.

Aaron.