Hmmn, Someone must have designed it that way on the basis of tradition and consensus.

I can certainly accept that possibility. I will ask Jessica to find out what the standard practice is for the staff arrangers in the Army Field Band, and I'll probably defer to what they normally use, since that's what the conductor will be used to seeing. It will take a couple of days, but I'll report the findings.

Chuck