There is no term for this in English, and I do not believe that it is as universal a phenomenon as you imply.

I can sympathize w. your frustration, though. There doesn't appear to be any term beyond the vague and misleading "common practice harmony" for the system of tonality we all learned in Music Theory class. For years I called this "functional tonality," but recently found that this won't do. I can't believe that no proper term exists!

Andrew Stiller
Kallisti Music Press
http://home.netcom.com/~kallisti/