Thanks for the clarification. That doesn't sound good at all. Is this something you've taken up with MM?

It has been brought up many times over the past couple years on their forum. I suspect they are paying more attention to the Mac version and the windows version is an afterthought. Not using low latency audio drivers is a school boy oversight, particularly since it has now been 2-3 years since they started hosting VST plugins.

When running Garritan Studio or another external VST host, Human Playback has no way of knowing what instruments you have actually loaded -- what the keyswitches are, whether they are sustaining or non-sustaining, what controllers are available, etc. It has to guess based on the staff name. At least with Kontakt Player 2 via AU, my understanding is that HP can theoretically see which instruments are in use and adjust accordingly.

I don't think Finale actually SEES anything inside the AU plugin. I think when you use one of the GPO templates, it is loading in the AU plugins and also loading in Human Playback settings that make sense for FinaleGPO. As far as I know you could easily load one of the Finale GPO templates and then simply change the output of each staff to point to a midi port instead of the VST plugin..and the human playback should be the same as was being sent to the AU/VST plugin. For the most part, that should work for GPO. There are a couple of subtle differences between Finale GPO and regular GPO..but in general everything should be the same. If you use another library such as Kirk Hunter Emerald inside Kontakt, as an AU plugin inside Finale. Then the GPO templates won't work at all and Finale is not going to automatically SEE anything to figure out what to do. You would have to manually tweak all the Human Playback settings to work with that library.

That is my undestanding anyway.