Darcy Argue wrote:
I'm talking about performance, specifically Mac performance. AU performance is objectively much better than performance via an external host, like Garritan Studio -- AU supports greater polyphony with fewer dropouts and less distortion on the same system. This is simply not up for debate.

Sorry, but I think the debate is still open. Here's a case where the standalone version performs better than the AU.

If you use the full standalone Kontakt 2 (not Kontakt Player 2), you get 64 channels of output.

You can preserve CPU resources with K2 as a standalone by using, for example, only one convolution reverb for all instruments. Inside Finale, Kontakt can only take 8 of 16 channels of MIDI so you have to open multiple instances. As you know, lower CPU demands results in fewer dropouts and distortion.

So it really depends on how you plan to use your sound resources.

-Randolph Peters