On 1 Oct 2006 at 14:16, Darcy James Argue wrote:

> On 01 Oct 2006, at 2:10 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:
>
> > Something is wrong with the design of OS X's security subsystem if
> > it has to be constantly repaired.
>
> It doesn't. Earlier versions of OS X were prone to permissions
> errors, but this hardly ever happens any more. I have a script set to
> automatically repair permissions weekly, but that's more out of habit
> than anything.

It never should have been a problem in a robustly designed system,
seems to me.

Do you know if the problem was due to misbehaving applications or a
problem with OS X?

You can certainly screw up the permissions in Windows to get it in an
unbootable state. I've done it while trying to lock down NT 4
(fortunately I was able to boot to a command prompt on a floppy disk
and change the ACLs to get it bootable again; this is c. 1998), and
there's no easy way short of reinstalling Windows to get back the
default permissions (I'd like to have a script that would reset to
default permissions on Windows, but it's only because I've fiddled
with permissions that I'd ever have needed it -- it's not something
that I've ever seen happen without meddling from a human being like
me). But application installations and regular Windows updates and OS
operations can never screw up permissions in a way that causes
unreliable operation of the OS or of applications.

So, I have a hard time understanding why OS X was ever so fragile in
this regard.

> It's pretty rare that someone actually needs to repair
> their permissions, although people still counsel this as a generic
> first step for anyone having problems with their setup.

The same way, perhaps, that voodoo Windows troubleshooters start out
"reinstall Windows."