We've all heard that band but then we have heard an orchestra sound like that too. I challenge you to find that sound from the Dallas Wind Symphony, the Tokyo Kosei Wind Orchestra, or any of the really fine university ensembles.

Some really good music by some respected composers is being written for wind ensemble and many composition students are being advised that the best way to hear one's music performed is to write for band, not orchestra. I know it was meant as a joke, but, having spent 30 years working with bands, I really would like to see old stereotypes and prejudices go away.

My question is what will GPO Wind Ensemble have in it that's not in GPO Orchestra. Saxophones and some expanded percussion? I would be content with a civilized classical sax sound. I think everything else I need is in GPO orchestra.

Richard Smith
www.rgsmithmusic.com
[EMAIL PROTECTED]