At 08:27 PM 10/11/06 -0700, Eric Dannewitz wrote:
>As both a Windows and Mac user, I'd say never. Cause Windows XP, in my
>experience, never boots right if you pull a motherboard and try to boot
>with your old system. And, if it does boot, Windows knows you've changed
>systems, and you need to re-authenticate it. You basically have to
>devote hours to reinstalling Windows. Not fun. Not fun at all.
>Here is a good explanation of the ordeal one would face.
>http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

Absurd. The only machine I have with XP is a laptop.

I'm so used to making hardware changes in my desktops that I can't imagine
going through all this not only with my machine, but with five others, all
of which have happy and stable Win98SE installations. As it stands now, I
yank out whatever part I'm changing, clone a hard drive if need be, then
delete all the hardware from the device manager. So aside from some time
spent with a screwdriver, the new machine is up and running and I'm back to
work within the hour.

But if it's as bad as that website describes with XP, what will it be with
Vista? This has gotten nuts. The consequences of tethered software are
far-reaching indeed.

I tossed an Ubuntu Linux CD into my main desktop the other day, and was up
& running fine from the CD, including configuring the network, within ten
minutes (and only using the GUI, too). Linux looks like my next stop after
I leave the Windows train. Since I already have multiple machines, I'll
keep an XP box for Finale, a 98SE box for my audio utilities, and swap the
rest over the Linux and open source applications.

Thanks for that warning, Eric. I hadn't been paying attention at all, and
though Windows would continue to make hardware upgrading easy, even if the
software was tethered.

Dennis