Dennis Bathory-Kitsz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I tossed an Ubuntu Linux CD into my main desktop the other day, and was up
& running fine from the CD, including configuring the network, within ten
minutes (and only using the GUI, too). Linux looks like my next stop after
I leave the Windows train. Since I already have multiple machines, I'll
keep an XP box for Finale, a 98SE box for my audio utilities, and swap the
rest over the Linux and open source applications.

That sounds very attractive if you are happy with a Unix-like environment. Do you have a local network? At present I have one that uses Windows networking and gives me access to my wife's computer (also XP), which has our back-up drive (Lacie USB2) and our main laser printer. It also gives her access to the reserve/colour printer that is on my laptop. When I get my new Linux machine I shall mostly do back-up on the server for the firm with the problems that I shall be addressing, but I shall still want to print via the network, so there are decisions to be made. Is there a Linux implementation of Windows networking? can I find some Open Source networking software that provides similar facilities to Windows Networking on both OSs? or must I buy something?

In the longer term, there is still the tempting prospect of getting a Finale and a Linux configuration (possibly running a Windows emulator) that are mutually compatible.

--
Ken Moore