At 07:15 PM 10/12/06 +0100, Ken Moore wrote:
>That sounds very attractive if you are happy with a Unix-like
>environment.

I'm just using the GUI. My insignificant knowledge of the Unix environment
is based on FreeBSD. Thing is, I don't really want to do any command-line
stuff, which is why I've been trying Linux once a year until a distribution
became available that worked right to the GUI from the start, and
self-configured to all my hardware. From there I can poke around and learn
how it works.

>Do you have a local network?

Yes, six computers at home, one a server/firewall, all on a wireless LAN.

>At present I have one that
>uses Windows networking and gives me access to my wife's computer (also
>XP), which has our back-up drive  (Lacie USB2) and our main laser
>printer.  It also gives her access to the reserve/colour printer that is
>on my laptop.

Yes, aside from the computers, there are five printers, three scanners, and
a bunch of peripherals (such as a slide scanner, two cameras, a pen tablet,
and many external drives) -- many without Linux drivers.

>Is there a Linux implementation of Windows networking? can
>I find some Open Source networking software that provides similar
>facilities to Windows Networking on both OSs? or must I buy something?

I don't know. I've been waiting for a Linux version that doesn't make me
worry about network complexities right away. :)  The networking I use now
is TCP/IP-based with a server, and the Linux test run found everybody right
away. As far as shared drives, I didn't go that far. It was just a test --
until Eric's email, which snapped my head back about how unacceptable XP
hardware upgrades will be. Now I'll do some more exploring, maybe getting
one of the older machines completely set up for Linux and see how it goes.

That still leaves me with 13 years of Windows software that I'm very fond
of using without needing to think about each step, and of course Finale,
Adobe Audition, Pagemaker, Sonar, Photoshop and other expensive programs
that don't come in Linux versions.

Dennis

--

Please participate in my latest project:
http://maltedmedia.com/waam/