John Roberts wrote:
Just an aside question on this general topic. What is considered to be a
reasonable point size for vocal text, say, in Times?
I think it depends upon the music and upon the musician. A fair amount of old choral music had lyrics set in 8 point; with most of the rest being 9 or 10. Many old hymnals have lyrics set in 6 point. These, of course, are conventionally used by a single person, and held at about arms length. Besides size of the typeface, the distance between lines of the lyric also come into play. Older hymnals were sometimes composed of 8 point type set 9 points apart (that is, it was 9 points between the baseline of one line, and the baseline of the next. The trend has been towards larger type in both hymnals and in sheet music, for lyrics. Also, of consideration in choosing a typeface (font) for lyrics is what a typographer calls the "x-height". The size of the font is based upon the distance between the top of a an "ascender", letters such as "l" or "h", to the bottom of a descender, letters such as "g" or "y". The "x-height", as the name implies, is the distance of the top of the letter x.from the baseline. Different faces have different x-heights, and one trick that can be used in music is to use a font with a larger x-height relative to the point size to make the lower case letters appear larger. There are also faces where two faces with the same point size and x-height has a have different letter widths. Note here, that I am not talking about "condensed" or "narrow" faces. Typefaces refer to families, for example Times, Palatino, Caslon, Helvetica, Century Schoolbook is yet another. Some of these families have a dozen or more individual faces: Extra narrow, condensed, Roman, wide, extra wide, Bold condensed, Bold, Italic, &c. This gets further confused by the fact that there are typefaces which are / were made by different manufacturers, where two faces had very similar appearances and different names. One example of this is Arial / Helvetica, which are very similar in appearance.

For my own purposes, my choice of type face depends upon the size of the edition. If I am preparing an edition that I consider will likely be printed in A4 or letter size paper, I'll use a point size which produces lyrics close to twelve points, if I expect the edition will be printed octavo sized, I will use a size close to ten points. So I start with the size I want the text to be, divide by the system scaling factor, and then divide by the page scaling factor.

ns