No Dean,

The moisture is to make the thumb alternately dig into the head and then slip as it is rubbed around producing the "roll." I suppose rosin might do as well, or maybe that's too sticky. I haven't tried it, but it doesn't seem to be all that hard (no insult to percussionists, who do plenty of hard things).

Chuck