Thanks Robert for the workaround. As it turned out, I discussed the issue with the client and he acquiesced to a more 'Finale-friendly' notation that I suggested. But this has come up before and will again. I keep your solution on hand for future reference.

Thanks again.

J D  Thomas
ThomaStudios

On Oct 27, 2006, at 9:53 AM, Robert Patterson wrote:

Probably the easiest option is the put in the rests as notes and then change the notehead symbols to rest symbols. If you care about playback, you can turn off the playback bit on the "rests" using the Frame Dialog box. If the rests are other than 64th rests, you may have to insert invisible tuplets as needed, so as to keep 4 beams at all times.

Depending on the rest pattern, it is sometimes possible lengthen the secondary beam stubs across the entire beam.

I have longed for local beam options, either in the beam tool or as a staff style option, but MM seems too busy with other priorities to consider it. But with linked parts, these kinds of workarounds are often not compatible with both score and part views, so we may see pressure build to address the more common ones.

-----Original Message-----
From: ThomaStudios [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, October 27, 2006 02:46 PM
To: finale@shsu.edu
Subject: [Finale] Beaming over rests

I have a client who is writing a piece that contains quite a bit of
modern notation conventions.  In one instance, he has a series of
many 64th notes in one measure, with a few rests in the pattern.  He
wants all 4 beams showing over the rests so I can feather the beams.
But Finale 2K7Mac will only allow me to do this globally, which I
don't want to do.  I've looked at Patterson's and TGTools to help,
but to no avail.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best was to accomplish this
look?

Thanks.

J D  Thomas
ThomaStudios