At 10:20 AM 11/8/2006, dhbailey wrote:
>Here's hoping that MakeMusic comes up with a right-click dialog for text
>blocks which includes a "This Part Only" option (among others)!

I think there are two issues here.

First, it's important to realize that the basic Fin2007 paradigm does not let you affect the *existence* of an item in score or parts -- you can only affect the *display* of an item (or the position). If you put (for example) a text block on p.1 in a part, what you've done is define a text block which appears on any p.1 in that Finale file -- in other words, in the score and all parts. You cannot delete the item from some parts and leave it in others, because the item is tied only to the *page*, not to the page within a part. But you can tell Finale to *hide* the item in certain parts and show it in others.

Keep in mind that a linked part itself is nothing more than a specialized view of the data in the score. When I create a flute part, I'm telling Finale to hide everything in the score that's not in that system. This, in fact, is the whole essence of a linked part. The note in the flute part is exactly the same item as the note in the score, which is why changing one changes the other. Finale is able to store different positioning options for an item in a part as opposed to a score, and different hide/show states, but it is not able to have an item exist in one place and not the other.

The point of all of this is that there will never be a 'Create in This Part Only' option, because that's not how Finale stores its data.

The second issue is one of UI. A 'Show in This Part Only' option I think is certainly possible -- it's essentially shorthand for 'hide in the score, then show in the part'. But it takes some thought to figure out how this interacts with other menu options, and also to keep menus from getting too cluttered. I'm not sure right now how useful this particular option would be -- I haven't thought about it much -- but I just want to point out that adding useful and technically possible options is not always as simple as just doing it.

Aaron.